Brown Rigg Lodges is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience. We actively work to ensure that our website is accessible and usable by people of all abilities.
Our website is responsive, meaning that it will adjust itself dynamically depending on the screen width of the viewing device. This means that whether you are using a desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile, all information is easily accessible without requiring the user to manually scroll horizontally or zoom in to part of the page.
Navigation on mobile (and some smaller tablets) utilises a large push button rather than a standard list of text links, meaning that the user isn’t required to use ‘pinch’ actions on small screens to move through pages. Wherever possible we’ve also included links on titles, images and buttons in order to improve usability across platforms, especially for those who are visually impaired, who struggle with gestures on mobile or using a mouse on desktop / laptop.
The site can be navigated using a keyboard only, cycling through links using the tab key and confirming your choice using ‘enter’.
All of our dining menus have been provided in plain text, and images are tagged with ‘alt’ text, so those using screen readers can still access and understand the content. Any content that is provided in pdf format (our brochures for example) is also provided elsewhere in the site in plain text form.
Text sizes can be changed by using the controls built in to your web browser. Usually this is performed by using the ‘Ctrl +’ (or ‘cmd +’ on a Macintosh computer) key sequence. Pressing ‘Ctrl 0’ (or ‘cmd 0’) returns text to the default size. You can also find these options within the browser’s menu system:
- Google Chrome: Select one of the ‘Text Zoom’ options in the ‘Customise and control Google Chrome’ menu
- Internet Explorer 9: Select ‘Settings’, then one of the options under ‘Zoom’
- Internet Explorer 7/8: Select the ‘Page’ menu, then one of the options under ‘Zoom’ or ‘Text Size’
- Internet Explorer 6: Select the ‘View’ menu, and select one of the options under ‘Text Size’
- Mozilla Firefox: Select the ‘View’ menu, then ‘Zoom’, then one of the options
- Opera: Select the ‘View’ menu, then one of the ‘Zoom’ percentage options
Other browsers may also have similar options available. Please consult the documentation provided with your browser if similar options to the ones above aren’t available.